Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday after Rio


After Rio we were so tired that we spent most of Sunday in our room or out on the balcony. Our cabin steward finally made the bed at 1:30. We got back in it as soon as he left. Jack wrote the blog about Rio and I slept and sat out on the balcony and tried to read. I would read a line or two and then be distracted by the clouds or waves.

Today was a beautiful day at sea. The temperature was around 75 all day with the sun shining and calm seas. I kept thinking I would go to the pool.... but never made it. We talked about going to the port lecture. We really like Dirk, the naturalist who was giving the talk, but forgot what time the talk was to start. I wanted to go to high tea... but slept through it.

I think that being sick may have contributed to my exhaustion after a day in Rio. Half the ship has had congestion with runny noses and coughs. I thought for sure it would turn into pneumonia after spending all day in the rain but I may be getting better. Jack has had not a sniffle.

I missed dinner 4 nights because I was sick. But even with that it is getting hard to choose from the dinner menu. There is some variety to it... but I just wish there was something less “fancy.” It is all good … the Chateaubriand tonight was delicious. I laughed at a lady on one cruise a few years ago who ordered 9 shrimp and a plain baked potato every night. I'm thinking that may be my order tomorrow. I had a ham and swiss on Rye and a Bud Lite for lunch..... refreshing!!

We did make it to dinner. We like our waitress Bianca from Brazil. Her parents came to Rio to see her yesterday. She was very excited to get to spend most of the day with them. She met them at 8:00 am as soon as we cleared. After taking them on a tour of the ship, they all spent the day at the beach. Bianca has worked for Carnival for 8 years. She left home when she was 17 to travel the world. She said this may be her last contract. She is almost 30 and ready to start a business of her own and maybe a family. She is the best server we have ever had on a cruise ship. Our table of 8 will be staying together for the next segment and Bianca will stay with us too.

Tuesday we get to Buenos Aries. That means the end of the first segment of our trip. We will be changing cabins there so tomorrow we pack. I am not looking forward to that. We are really “moved in” after 17 days and have gotten to know our cabin staff. While we are on shore Tuesday, the cabin steward will move our things to our new cabin. Our new cabin is 9211. One of our table mates is in that cabin this cruise.

1 comment:

  1. y do u have to change cabins? u r on the same ship.......it doesn't make sense!!!

    ReplyDelete