Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Whales in Puerto Vallarta









We went on a whale photo shoot in PV. The season is from early December to March in Banderas Bay. Our trip was a little late in the season. The boat was a big hardshell inflatable, an Avon, which is like a big Zodiak. We spotted a mother and calf fairly quickly and followed them for a long time – lots of pictures of humped backs. The guide was an Aussie who called it an “oombaa-“ That last is a glottal stop. There is a proper way to show it, but I don’t remember now. The sound is almost like a soft cough. So “oombaa(cough)”

The calf breached and I was the only one that got the picture. Actually it was pure luck. A woman jumped up in front of me, so I had to put the camera out to the side and push the button and hope. As you see, I got the picture with every drop of water in focus. Wow.

The ride was rough, wet, and in the open sun the whole day. I felt like I had lost 7 rounds with a mule by the time it was over. But I got the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment